Question:
linksys switch config?
MBP
2009-05-07 09:03:07 UTC
how can i configure a linksys switch on my comcast internet service
Three answers:
nathan
2009-05-07 09:08:15 UTC
a switch won't work as a gateway to an outside network

switch can only switch traffic on the same subnet

a router can switch traffic on 2 different subnets

since your network is one subnet, and the outside is another subnet. you need a router.
2009-05-07 16:39:03 UTC
sounds like you have a hub, switch or router...

if its a hub...its dumb...there is no software to it, you can't configure it...if it has one uplink port and 4 other ports its a hub...it basiclly just lets you connect 3 or 4 computers to your internet...its really simple...

if its a switch/router...you configure it using internet explorer...you open the IE and in the address bar you type the address of the switch/router...usually its something like http:\\192.168.2.1 .....every router/switch has a button you can hold in on it to reset it to defaults...you have to go to linksys website and look up your router and find out what the default address is....it may be 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.100.1 or something...every vendor and model is differnet...but once you know...you reset it to deault..go to IE put in the address and you will get a webpage that lets you configure the inside of your router/switch...there's usually a wizard and its real simple to configure it...

you can do all kinds of stuff once you get inside...setup access control lists ACL's, block ports...like internet is 80 and email is 25 and 100 and you can filter traffic and say I don't want any incomming traffic to my computer on port 25 and then no one on your network would be able to get email...I don't know why you'd want to do this tho..some people block all ports and then just open the ones they need...they think this prevents attacks and viruses...you can do all kinds of stuff...you can setup IP address schemes..you can make all your computers that get on the internet use 10.x.x.x instead of 192.168.x.x or whatever your ISP gave you

good look

post your linksys model number on here and you'll get better help, maybe someone will mail you think to the product documentation
TorxBit
2009-05-07 16:09:54 UTC
You would need to supply the model of that switch to get a definitive answer. But unless you bought a managed switch (they cost significantly more then mismanaged switches) there is no configuration to it. Simply plug in the computers.

However, without knowing what your provider gives you in address allocation it is difficult to know what other devices you need. If you only have one address, and you want to secure those computers you will need a firewall with NAT.