Question:
I want to put a bigger hard drive in my current computer and need some advice.?
utfan67
2007-04-17 16:47:21 UTC
I currently have a 20gig HD in my Dell which is going on 5 yrs old, but I'm slowly running out of space on it.

I would like to put a bigger HD in it, thinking about a 80 gig or bigger, but my question is...

If I put this harddrive in, can everything be transfered from the old HD to the new HD and if it possible...

How do you do that, willing to learn but dont know where to start.

Thanks.
Eleven answers:
M. B
2007-04-17 17:07:04 UTC
There are several programs that let you clone your old drive to a new one, while dynamically enlarging the partition to utilize the space on the new drive. Symantec Ghost, Partition Magic, Acronis True Image are all drive imaging solutions that will work. There are plenty of others too. You might consider purchasing an external USB enclosure for your old drive. They're pretty cheap, and you hhave an external drive when you're done. You will need to have both drives connected while doing the clone. You will be able to remove the old drive and boot to the new one after the transfer. Windows will not require a new license for just a drive replacement.
lovely2486
2007-04-17 16:57:59 UTC
You do not need to have two hard drives on your computer. You can always buy another hard drive that is larger and transfer the files to it. I transfer files all the time to another HD to back up my information just in case something should happen to the HD i'm using now. If you don't know how to hook up the new HD I would NOT suggest that you even try because you can ruin your computer. You can always go to the Geek Squad for help but they can be rather pricey. Look around for different prices.

Hope this helps. =]
xecuter2005
2007-04-17 16:55:25 UTC
yes you can put another hard drive in what you have to do is on the back of the drive there a things called jumpers on the 20 gig set it to master and on the 80 gig set it to slave and connect both of then and once in the computer the new drive will come up as a new drive letter then just simply copy the files you want to the ext drive if your running windows xp you have to go in the computer management and add the new drive then copy your files over
ireland
2016-09-05 19:54:12 UTC
Buy a brand new PC.. Seriously, WITH THE POWER SWITCHED OFF, open the part duvet to reveal the add-ons within the PC. Then, making use of a vaccum cleanser tube CAREFULLY vaccum the entire fluff and grime off the add-ons and pay detailed concentration to disposing of grime and fluff from the blades of the lovers, adding the fan that sits on best of the processor. Make definite that the cooling fan is throughly wiped clean of grime and fluff too. This will be certain the PC runs cooler and the noise made via the lovers could also be decreased to a minimal. If it is a computer you are speaking approximately then take it to a position to have it internally wiped clean.
Çlïgér4™ ♂
2007-04-17 17:04:14 UTC
sorry to say but your best option is to add the 80gb drive as one for storage and just keep the OS and applications on the smaller one but if you really want just the one drive in your computer then when you put in the 80gb you'll have to reinstall your OS then the easiest way to get your files transfered is with a $20+/- hard drive enclosure or you could back up your data to (assuming you don't have a DVD burner) to CD's but your looking at about 30 cd's to capture all 20 gb
2007-04-17 17:04:06 UTC
I took a few college level courses in hardware/software and it is very hard to explain. However, I found a great web site that gives you step by step instructions on four different ways to accomplish this. If you follow these steps it should work for you. Oh, you don't have to have the second hard drive in the bay to do this. It makes it alot easier to hook up the hard drives. Good luck....
Brandita
2007-04-17 16:56:32 UTC
I would recommend getting an external harddrive or adding a second harddrive. it is very difficult to totally remove your primarly harddrive without a lot of effort. If your computer is five years old I would just recommend buying an extra hard drive.
2007-04-17 16:50:40 UTC
Just add the second drive. You don't need to transfer a thing, its perfectly OK to have two drives!

Additionally, if you're unlucky enough to be running Microsoft Windows, you'll probably have an OEM license to use it. Removing your original drive will invalidate this license and you'll need to buy a new, full license. Assuming you use Windows XP, you'll need this:

http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/65801

Once you've purchased your new license, use the media and new license key to install Windows on to the new drive. Insert the older drive, copy the data across, and then throw it away.
help wored
2007-04-23 07:35:16 UTC
you shoud get a drive coping sofe ware like ghost or you could

go to a Computer store and see if the store will do it for you you shud buy at leats a100ge hard drive thav mack biger hard drive.if you need them thay will insatll in to if you get the promgam thats cops emal me at richardneopeterisme@yahoo.com a zoom up of you hard drive

old and new you cen put two in a master the biger hard drive and a slave
Cupcake
2007-04-22 17:46:08 UTC
Use Norton Ghost to clone your old drive to the new one.
help me
2007-04-22 07:44:40 UTC
yes do that